home staging, kitchener home staging, kitchener real estate, kitchener-waterloo home staging, real estate staging, renovating to sell, rooms in bloom home staging, smart upgrades, staging advice, staging to sell, vacant home staging, waterloo home staging
So many articles on home staging are about how it helps properties stand out from their competition by neutralizing and broadening the home’s appeal. And it’s all true however what does that really mean? Why is home staging so essential? For realtors and home owners who still view home staging as optional or something they should do only if the house was at a certain price point or in a certain type of condition before they brought in a stager, why should they spend their marketing $$’s or invest money into staging?
I recently read an article which discussed how business entrepreneurs should never compete on price – they should sell their clients on the most tangible thing of all: VALUE. As a Professional Stager, I believe this same equation holds true when homes are listed for sale.
So, what kind of VALUE does Professional Home Staging to a home? Here is a list:
1) By recommending Key Upgrades to home owners, we improve and modernize the home. From paint to new flooring or lighting, we give the property a facelift so that design savvy buyers can appreciate the home. Typically these kinds of upgrades require an investment of between $300 – $5,000 on the part of the home owner however the payoff is when the list price of the home is raised by tens of thousands of dollars AND that buyers not only love the home but they also justify the new list price! For example, clients of ours recently invested $4,000 in a combination of upgrades and our staging services. The realtor, once he saw the transformation, raised the original list price by $20K AND the house sold in less than 2 weeks for 99.4% of the new price!
2) By staging empty or awkwardly designed rooms, Professional Stagers ensure that ALL of the buyers previewing the home can see its full potential. As 90% of people cannot visualize beyond what is in front of them, furnishing Key spaces adds tangible appeal and function to any property. By showcasing exactly how a space should be set up, buyers are then able to see how this space would be incorporated into the new lifestyle they are buying into. The VALUE this adds to a property is staggering because FUNCTION sells homes.
3) Editing out furnishings and emphasizing architectural points or vital selling features is another way Professional Stagers showcase the value of a property. Home owners develop layers of what they deem to be essential items in their homes over time – it’s also called nesting – and a Professional Stager will remove those layers, revealing and showcasing the home’s best features. By helping buyers see the property, we showcase what is most important in a home – the house itself. It’s a fact that clutter eats equity in a home so by removing all non essential furnishings, a Professional Stager adds undeniable VALUE to a property which is reflected in the quality of offers the home receives.
4) Dressing the property or Professional Showcasing adds the polish and presence needed to impress design savvy Buyers who compare everything to Model Homes they have seen. Professional Stagers know exactly how to best present each space, taking into account who the target buyers are and setting the stage so that the home portrays the ideal lifestyle needed for it to attract the right buyers. This is an essential - and often overlooked - step for most DIY home owners or realtors who simply believe that de-cluttering to the point of leaving rooms with zero appeal is what home staging is all about. It’s not. Professional staging adds warmth, welcome and modern style through necessary decor elements. This added polish is what we call the WOW Factor and is what makes a home stand out online and is the clincher if all the other preparation steps have been followed. Professional showcasing a home tells buyers a story about the life they could have in the property and fosters the love and emotional connection which sells homes.
Although what we do is called home staging or ‘home fluffing’, these terms do not do justice to the essential job Professional Stagers do to prepare homes for sale. The intrinsic value we add to a property makes it possible for sellers to set – and receive - their price. We have seen buyers become negotiable on their wish lists, the property’s location and consistently go over list price and above budget to purchase a property which meets – and exceeds – all of their functional and design expectations. So, when you are listing your property for sale make sure that one of the tools in your arsenal is that of a Professional Home Stager who will ensure your home is properly prepared and showcased so it doesn’t compete on price – it sells itself on the value it offers to potential buyers!
- Rooms in Bloom Home Staging Selected as the 2012 Canadian Home Staging Company of the Year (decoratingdivas.wordpress.com)
- Selling Your Home? Without a Great First Impression You Could Be Losing Valuable Home Equity (decoratingdivas.wordpress.com)
- Selling Your Kitchener Home Over the Winter (decoratingdivas.wordpress.com)